Code of Ethics for Sunday School Teachers
By Beth Swagman
Neffsville Mennonite Church in Pennsylvania produced a Children’s Ministry Handbook in addition to their Child, Youth, and Vulnerable Adult Safety Policy and Volunteer Protection document this year.
From this accessible handbook comes this Code of Ethics, which is a wonderful guide for all of us working with children.
- My first priority in leading children will be to seek the welfare of the child physically, socially, educationally and spiritually.
- I will try to understand and respect the child’s cultural background.
- I will not do anything that will damage the child’s trust. I will protect the child from all forms of abuse while he or she is in my care.
- If I wish to talk to the child alone, it will be within sight and sound of other people.
- I will work with the children to set some agreed guidelines for acceptable behavior within the group. I will expect the children to act on the basis of those guidelines and if a child consistently breaks them, I will seek help from parents and others to assist me in responding to the child.
- I will pray for each child regularly.