Dove's Nest Develops Speaker's Bureau, Expands Trainings
As part of its ministry, Dove’s Nest offers trainings and resources on a variety of topics related to child and youth protection.
In January 2015, Dove’s Nest created a national Speaker’s Bureau of highly qualified members who are available to train across North America. The speakers hail from Pennsylvania to California, and many locations in between. They offer a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, and expertise relevant to children and youth safety in faith communities.
- Marlene Bogard, executive director, Mennonite Women USA; Salem, OR
- Linda Gehman Peachey, freelance writer and teacher; cofounder of Dove's Nest; member, East Chestnut Street Mennonite Church; Lancaster, PA
- Jeanette Harder, PhD, University of Nebraska at Omaha, Grace Abbott School of Social Work; Dove's Nest's board president; member, First Mennonite Church; Omaha, NE
- Jan Slabaugh, early childhood education specialist and teacher; Dove's Nest board member; Mechanicsburg, PA
- Melissa Hofstetter, PhD, MDiv, licensed clinical psychologist (PSY25696); Pasadena, CA
- Brenda Yoder, LMHC, counselor, writer, speaker, educator; Shipshewana, IN
- Scott Martin, MTS, content designer; Dove's Nest board member; Lincoln, NE
- Amy Lynn Smith, LMSW, MATSJ, licensed social worker and minister, Nazarene Church; Rochester, NY
Presentations can be uniquely tailored to your faith community to meet your training and assistance needs as you work to keep kids safe. Training topics include raising awareness about the importance of a safety policy, developing a child and youth protection policy, guidelines for safely incorporating abuse offenders into faith communities, and implementation information for the Circle of Grace child protection curriculum. Speaking events may range from a 1–8 hour community training, a 20-minute sermon, or a 10-minute outreach spotlight during worship.
Dove’s Nest also offers presentations for Sunday school classes, children’s sermons, and other church presentations. When requested, we have provided training to camp counselors, camp staff, and others who work with children and youth. Visit the Dove’s Nest website to learn about current events and Speaker’s Bureau members in your area or to request a training event for your faith community.
As a nonprofit ministry, Dove’s Nest relies solely on charitable gifts, grants, and honoraria to fund our work. When extensive travel is required, we request travel reimbursement and also seek to open the event to all faith communities within proximity of the hosting site in an effort to maximize our reach in that geographic area. Click here for our suggested honoraria and travel reimbursement guidelines. Click here for PDF of the guidelines.
If you’d like more information, please contact Kathy Haake at Kathy [at] DovesNest.net or 402-577-0866.