April Child Abuse Prevention Month 2019: Parenting for Prevention
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month in the United States. Dove's Nest encourages faith communities to take time during April to consider the plight of abused children and find practical methods to end child abuse and neglect in the communities where they live, work, and worship.
This year's focus is Parenting for Prevention, as we all know a parent is a
child’s first teacher! We hope to equip and encourage parents and caregivers
to introduce Circle of Grace concepts and affirm them at home, whether or not
the child is being taught Circle of Grace.
God has a vision for healthy relationships where all are respected, loved, and cared for. From early childhood to adulthood, our children are learning about their bodies and how to treat the bodies around them. As a faith community, we should be part of that journey.
Dove's Nest new resources for 2019:
- A 2019 Bulletin Insert by David Orr [doc] [pdf] that includes a prayer for children and a short reflection on the importance of healthy boundaries and consent from children's earliest years.
- A three-page 2019 Parenting for Prevention study guide by Samuel Voth Schrag, Dove's Nest board member.
Recommended internet resources for parents on abuse prevention:
- Aha! Parenting supports parents to create a more peaceful home—and happy, responsible, considerate kids!
- Darkness to Light's work is guided by the vision of a world free from child sexual abuse, where children can grow up happy, healthy, and safe.
- Early, Open, Often believes you need to talk openly to your child about sexual abuse, early and often, and they offer help on what to say.
- Healthy Families America is the signature program of Prevent Child Abuse America.
- Mennonite Central Committee Abuse Prevention offers resources to help individuals, families, and congregations address family violence and sexual abuse.
- Protect Young Minds empower parents, professionals and community leaders to protect young kids from pornography and promote healing from any sexual exploitation.
- Stop It Now! prevents the sexual abuse of children by mobilizing adults, families, and communities to take actions that protect children before they are harmed.
- The Mama Bear Effect offers down-to-earth educational resources help families and communities all over the world Rock the Talk® to raise awareness and protect children from the threat of sexual abuse.
2018 Update to Circle of Grace Now Available: The Circle of Grace 2018 update is now available online for license holders and churches interested in obtaining a license. Circle of Grace is a safe environment curriculum for PreK through 12th grade. In addition to general revisions, the update includes new alternate lessons for junior high and high school students on stress, human trafficking, and relationship boundaries, as well as adaptions to teach Circle of Grace to youth with developmental disabilities. The curriculum is available with a requested fee of $75. It is available for free to all Mennonite Church USA entities, with a requested $30 administrative fee. Contact anna [at] dovesnest.net (anna [at] dovesnest.net )for questions about obtainin and license or accesing your curriculum online.
Were these materials helpful to you and your congregation? If yes, please consider a gift to Dove's Nest, so that we can continue to offer free materials each April and throughout the year.
For more information: info [at] DovesNest.net, 402-577-0866.