Dove's Nest Training Opportunities
Dove's Nest's mission is to "empower and equip" faith communities to keep children and youth safe. We live out that mission by offering training and resources to faith communities on a variety of topics related to child and youth protection. Each of the presentations below can be uniquely tailored to your faith community to meet your needs for training and assistance as you work to keep kids safe. For more information, fill out the form at the bottom of the page. We will be in touch to find out how we can assist you!
1. Preparing Churches to Protect Children and Youth: A comprehensive introduction to building awareness in faith communities about the importance of keeping children and youth safe in their homes, churches, and communities and the role of the church in accomplishing this. This presentation also includes basic information about developing and/or implementing a child and youth protection policy for your faith community.
2. Crafting and Implementing a Child and Youth Protection Policy: Step-by-step information about how to mobilize, educate, train, and empower your faith community to draft a child and youth protection policy. Includes sample policies and a checklist to guide your policy-making process.
3. Circle of Grace Training and Implementation: Find out why Circle of Grace is an excellent addition to your faith community's efforts to keep children and youth safe. Learn about its background and development, its clinical and spiritual aspects, its structure, and its objectives and goals, along with helpful implementation tips for teachers, parents, and administrators.
4. Panel Presentations: These events provide an understanding of the faith community's role in keeping children and youth safe in the church and in the community. Participants will connect with a Dove's Nest speaker(s) as well as a panel of representatives from community agencies who help in child protection efforts. Panelists can include police officers, social workers, pastors, therapists, and others.
5. Protection and Inclusion: Guide for Faith Communities on Safely Including Persons Who Have Committed Sexual Offenses - Using Dove's Nest's publication of the same name, learn how your faith community can navigate the difficult waters of allowing individuals with sexual offenses to be part of the worshipping community while keeping your children and youth safe.
6. Amish and Old Order Mennonites & Child Safety: A Cultural Competency Training for Social Service Systems and Workers to Better Relate to Amish and Old Order Mennonites - Equip social service systems and workers with the knowledge and skills to relate effectively with Plain communities, such as Amish and Old Order Mennonites, to keep children safe. Learn how to conduct investigations and prepare safety plans and how to recruit and support foster and adoptive homes in these conservative communities.
7. Other Speaking Opportunities: Dove's Nest also offers a variety of presentations for Sunday school classes, sermons, and other church settings. When requested, we also offer training to camp counselors and staff, school administrators and teachers, and others who work with children and youth.
Dove's Nest's Speaker's Bureau consists of highly qualified members who are available for your training needs:
- Marlene Bogard, MA, executive director, Mennonite Women USA; Salem, OR
- Linda Gehman Peachey, MDiv, freelance writer and teacher; cofounder of Dove's Nest; member, East Chestnut Street Mennonite Church; Lancaster, PA
- Jeanette Harder, PhD, University of Nebraska at Omaha, Grace Abbott School of Social Work; Dove's Nest's board president; member, First Mennonite Church; Omaha, NE
- Jan Slabaugh, BS, MEd, early childhood education specialist and teacher; Dove's Nest board member; Mechanicsburg, PA
- Brenda Yoder, LMHC, counselor, writer, speaker, educator; Shipshewana, IN
- Amy Lynn Smith, LMSW, MATSJ, licensed social worker and minister, Nazarene Church; Rochester, NY
- Anna Groff, MPA, executive director, Dove's Nest; Tucson, AZ
- Melissa Rorabaugh Heise, MEd, MTS, teacher, licensed foster care provider; Pottstown, PA
- Carol Grace Hurst, PhD, MSW, LCSW, associate professor & program director of Social Work at Eastern Mennonite University; Crozet, VA
- Katherine Burkey Wiens, MEd, MS, author, speaker, educator; Newton, KS
- Glen Guyton, BS, MEd, speaker, writer, advocate for intercultural competency, member of National Speaker Association; San Antonio, TX
As a nonprofit ministry, Dove's Nest relies solely on charitable gifts, grants, and honoraria to fund our work. When extensive travel is required, we request travel reimbursement and also seek to open the event to all faith communities within proximity of the hosting site in an effort to maximize our reach in that geographic area. Click here for our suggested honoraria and travel reimbursement guidelines. Click here for PDF of the guidelines.
Are you interested in finding out more about scheduling a Dove's Nest event or training session?
Please fill out this form!