Dove's Nest's mission is to empower and equip faith communities to keep children and youth safe in their homes, churches, and communities. "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children" (Luke 18:16 NLT).
10 Ways your church can
prevent Child Abuse
Here are ten ways that churches can prevent child abuse. This content is extracted from a chapter of Sexual Abuse in Christian Homes and Churches by Carolyn Holderread Heggen (1993).
1. Name the sin of abuse
2. Dispel the notion that what happens in homes is private and no one else's business
3. Communicate that the pastoral staff is trained and willing to intervene in abusive families
4. Examine the church's theology for teachings associated with abuse
5. Expect leaders to model exemplary sexual lives
6. Get members informed about and involved with issues related to sexual abuse
7. Use congregational influence to fight pornography and other media which eroticize violence
8. Become advocates of children
9. Educate children to recognize and report abuse
10. Call both males and females of all ages to responsible, healthy sexual attitudes and behaviors
CLICK HERE to find out more about these preventative measures.
Child and Youth Protection Policies
A child and youth protection policy in a faith community helps to ensure safety for children and youth. Dove's Nest recommends that every faith community develop and implement a policy suited to its context.
Interested in having Dove's Nest host a training event at your faith community? Click here.
Circle of Grace is a Christian safe environment curriculum that helps to form and educate children and youth about the value of positive relationships with God and others. This comprehensive, pre-k through 12th grade curriculum is designed to fit within any church's Christian education program. Circle of Grace is available FREE to Mennonite Church USA congregations and to other denominations for a suggested donation. Click here for more information.
Interested in helping Dove's Nest keep children and youth safe? Our funding comes from charitable gifts and grants. Click here to find out more.
Mennonite Education Conference
Click here to find out more about having Dove's Nest visit your faith community!